A Narrative (kidnapping by the Shawnee in 1779)


A Narative of the Capture & Detention of my Paternal Grand Mother by the Shawnee Indians September 23,1779A. R. Erskine M.D. Copied Feb. 20th, 1872

The following is a Copy from a Copy, as written by my Cousin Allen T. Caperton
of Union Va, related to him by our Grandmother.

Albert Russel Erskine Son of Alexander Erskine Sr. M.D􀀌
Copied Feb, 20th 1872.

An exact Transcription from photostats of original copy of a copy made by Dr. Albert Russel Erskine in 1872, prepared by Susan Fowler and presented to her father
Alex. D. Fowler, Christmas in the year 1956.

Margaret Erskine died June 3, 1842 in the 90th year of her age.



It was in the Fall, 23rd Sept.of 1779 that Margaret Paulee with her husband John Paulee
( Polly ), with one infant male child about one year old, Set out from the County of Monroe VA,  on a journey to Kentucky, for the purpose of establishing themselves, when they were attacked by a party of Indians, who, as it was conjectured, had some notice of the projected trip, and waylaid them for the purpose of making Captives. There were Six Indians, and the party in Company with Mr. John Paulee, consisted of Mr. P & Wife, Robert Wallis, Brice Miller and James Paulee, each man a rifle, but only Miller loaded, at the time the attack was made, there being no cause to apprehend any thing of the kind. It was about 11 or 12 0’clock when, to adopt the language of Grand Ma, I was riding in front of the Cattle, that we were taking with us, with my Child in my arms, about five (5) miles from the mouth of East River, I was alarmed by the report of a gun which Seemed to have been fired from behind a log. My horse took fright, & at that moment I heard my Husbands Voice, calling to me repeatedly to ride back. I turned to obey his Summonds, when one of the party of Indians came from behind a tree, and pulled me from my horse, and with a blow from his Club, Struck me Senseless.

What took place. during this State of insensibility, I was only enabled to gather from the Indians themselves, after I came too. The dreadful tale was easily Comprehended, after the evidences that met my Senses, on recovery. The gun of my poor Husband, & the Scalp of poor Wallis, too terribly indicated the results of the Engagement. There was also in Company the Wife of Wallis, James Paulees Wife & Child, Samuel Campbell & Wife, tho the two latter were behind & hid. James Paulees Wife & Child were taken prisoners, and placed on a log beside me after I had recovered. It was while I Sat upon the log, that an Indian came with the reeking Scalp of Wallis, who poor fellow was never heard of more. My Husband, when he Saw me dragged from my horse, ran up & fought over my body with three of the Indians, using nothing but the butt of his Gun, when one of them put his gun, to his breast & Shot him through. He believing that his Wife & child were both dead, & thinking the wound which he had received mortal, left the Strife & Started upon his way back. In his retreat he turned Several times & observed the Indians looking after him attentively, probably expecting him to fall, from the Shot which he had received. When he reached a turn in the road he left it, & taking the Woods probably thereby Effected his Escape. In the Scuffle he lost his own Gun, but took one from the Indians, which he carried away with him. After going Some distance in the woods, he laid down Expecting to die, but after waiting, felt relieved & leaving his gun, Set out for Woods Fort on Rich Creek. On reaching New River, he waded it & by the assistance & guidance of John Woods, arrived Safely at the Fort, where he died in a Short time, under the full belief that we his Wife & Child had fallen under the tomahawk of the merciless. I, after recovering from the Stunning Effects of the blow which I had received, observed, my Child lying a Short distance from me, & approaching it took it in my arms' fondly thinking to afford it Shelter, but all my fond hopes & motherly affections were arrested by the approach of an Indian, who barbarously murdered. it with a Club & then threw it upon the ground. The Child of James Paulee met the Same fate. The
party, who afterwards went in pursuit of these Indians found the body of my Child which had been protected from the Wolves, by a little fice dog which was found lying by its Side. The other Child was entirely eaten up by the Wolves.

There were five Indians & one white man named Morgan, composing this party. The latter Seemed more barbarous than the Indians. After possessing themselves with what of the baggage they could conveniently Carry & taking 12 of the horses, they placed me on my horse & Mrs. James Paulee on· hers & Set out. Cur beds were ripped open, the feathers poured out & the ticking taken, Starting up the North fork of East River, an Indian leading my horse, we continued our Way traveling in the middle of the River for a mile or more, & then in the direction of Blue Stone, we went a westwardly direction traveling all day & all night & never Stopping until late the next night, when they encamped, using the precaution to build their fire in a Sink hole. I Suffered much during these two days & nights having had repeated falls from my horse, caused by the barbarous Morgan, who Seemed to take a malicious pleasure in Cutting my horse & causing him to throw me forth over his head. I could learn nothing of their plans or purposes, but this Morgan informed me that they intended to take us to Shawnee Town & make Squaws of us. They took no other precaution to Secure us than placing us pretty well in midst & taking our Shoes from us, returning them to us the next morning. I frequently thought of attempting an Escape, but Every time I raised my hand one of the Indians would raise his also. I ate nothing for 3 or 4 days, the Savages Seemed always desirous that we Should partake of What Ever they had or obtained to Eat. The one that Killed my Child was more Kind to me than any of the rest. I had provided myself with a little dried beef, biscuit, & cheese, ·which they were fond of, a little of which I partook I had also provided myself with a bottle of Spirits, in case of Sickness, which was Still in my Satchel, hanging to the horn of my Saddle, but becoming alarmed lest they might get hold of it & drink & become more barbarous, I unloosed it, & let it fall in the Woods, where it may remain to this day. The next day we Continued our rout, a Westwardly direction through a Wilderness, nothing occurring until we reached the Ohio River, where the plunder our Saddles &c were put into a canoe & carried over, the Indians Swimming beside the Horses Afterward we crossed the Scioti & then -the Miami. The Scioti we crossed at the old Chilecotte town & then forded the the Miami & came in Sight of the Shawnee Town when we camped, & the next morning gave Signal by firing the guns & giving a peculiar hollow which indicated that they had returned with prisoners plunder & Scalps. The object in Stopping was to prepare for Some ceremonies common to all whose lot it was to be prisoners. They came Shouting & rejoicing. One of them approached me & held out his hand , to whom I offered mine in return, when he Struck me a blow which brought me to the Earth. The Cheif of the gang who had taken us, Seemed enraged at this treatment & interposed for my protection. The Sympathy created by this treatment in all probability Saved me from the necessity of running the gauntlet a thing which every prisoner has to undergo. It is what the Savages calls a Welcoming.

The manner of it is, a large number of Squaws & Indianboys place themselves along a line armed with clubs & Switches The prisoner is then required to run an appointed distance & to undergo all the blows that can be inflicted.


I saw two boys about 15 years of age named Zoffit who were brought in & made·to run, they were Started & one of them turned upon the first blow & returned it, an act which So pleased the Indians that he escaped the blame & was addopted.

Through the compassion of the Chief I escaped running the Gauntlets, but my fellow prisoners were forced to do So & Suffered Severely. We were then taken before the “Council”& through an Interpreter, questioned Severely. They inquired particularly if my Husband was not a Captain & upon my replying in the negative, they cautioned me not to tell. a lie, being opined that he was a Captain from the courageous manner in which he had behaved & fought. Upon a further consultation it was determined that I should be addopted into the family of Wabakah Kahtoo, into whose family I entered having been gifted with the White Wapen belt. Wabakah Kahtoo was king of the Tribe, had been at the battle of the Point & had been wounded. After my addoption he told me that I must be contented not to fear any one & not to be ordered by any other woman. My greatest & most distressing apprehension was lest they Should take it into their head to Compell me to take up with or marry one of the Indians & this apprehension was rendered Stronger by the Conduct of a White female prisoner who had intermarried & who hearing that it had been proposed to me to marry & that I had refused, came to me & urged me to this course Saying that if I did not So consent I would be murdered.

I communicated my uneasiness to Wabakah Kahtoo, who informed me that I need not fear anything, that there would never be any compulsion if I was unwilling. I was likewise further relieved by Leon Girty who So often, after I was taken, came to see me & informed me that I need not fear on that Score, that they were not the people to compell any one to Such a course. The Indian who had killed my Child was particularly desirous to atone for his barbarity by Various acts of kindness, Such as Sending for me to partake of any thing which he might have. I Suffered greatly more than I would otherwise have done, from the Knowledge that I Should be Confined in the course of a few months. I Saw McKee & Girty often, the former was a gentlemanly man & there were Simon, Jas & George & all these men had Indian wives. The Indians thought a great deal of McKee and Girty. There was an Elliot likewise among them, also an Indian Chief .named Blue Jackett who had married a half French woman of Detroit & who lived in great Style, had curtained beds & Silver Spoons I was fond of Visiting this house, they always Seemed kind & desirous of giving me tea &c. He had his negro
Slaves & So had McKee

Nothing of moment occurred until the May after my capture, when the period of my confinement came on. After making known that the time had arrived an old Squaw took a chunk of fire & conducted me to a woods, where I was left alone with nothing but a Shelter of brush over me for the Space of ten days, after which I was permitted to return to the Town. The day after the birth of my Child, which I by the aid of my Sister in Law, had dressed, the Squaw came & Seemed Very much delighted, took my Child & Carried it through the town, Seeming to think it a beauty. There was a String of corn brought me, & a mortar for me to pound it, but luckily a man from Detroit who had engaged me to make him a Shirt, came with a handkerchief of flour. The Indian women think nothing of being confined. I have Known a Squaw to have a Child one day & be in the woods the next digging herbs. Almost a year after I had been taken, I met with a young man whose name was Thomas McGuire, who had previously been taken by the Indians, but escaped from their hands by joining a company of negroes, who informed me all about the defeat & death of my Husband. Nothing of importance occured until the Summer of 1780 when Colonel Clarke made his invasion upon the Indians. They knew of his advance, having learned it from two he captured on the Ohio & Seemed Very much alarmed. I, with the other prisoners, was taken & Secreted in the woods within hearing of the firing between Clarke & the Indians.

After the battle as over, we returned to the town, Pickaway which we Entirely laid waste, Staid about a week, gathered Some of the corn & dried it. Here I was taken with fever & ague & left about 50 or 100 miles. I had a horse & Saddle which I was permitted to ride, while the Squaws carried large packages. We went where the hunting was good, & lived the whole winter on meat. I Suffered from the fever & ague about Eight weeks at this place & here we Settled, lived in Camp during the Winter & afterwards built a town, which we called McKees Town, I employed myself Sewing, got two (2) Shillings a Shirt & made four (4) Shirts a day. I

In the Summer of 1782 there arose a difficulty which very nearly put an End to my Cause. A party of Indians headed by the Same individual who had taken us prisoners & Killed my
Husband, went upon an Expidition into Kentucky, for the Same purpose that had formerly taken
them to Virgina. which Expedition terminated in the death of the Chief Wabapusito, Son of Wabakah Kahtoo. The news of his death was received with Sorrowful lamentation by all the Tribe. His Father was inconsolable & required Something to appease him for his loss. There had been taken in Kentucky two boys, Jackey Calaway about 9 years old and Dickey Hoy about 12, who were placed with me and lived in Wabapusitos house. The old Chief·not withstanding all the partiality he had shown for me, was So grieved by this death of his Son, that he conceived the horrid plan of burning in his own house the prisoners he had made, the two (2) Ky boys & myself. I had observed a considerable commotion for Several days before I was Enabled to ascertain its cause, when by accident as I passed a blacksmith shop I overheard the White man inquire if that was the woman who was to be burned. This led me to make inquiry & to my Surprise & horror I learned that the old Chief had resolved upon my destruction.

I however learned that the greatest exertions had been made to avert our doom, that numbers of the Indians had interceeded in our behalf, that McKee had been Sent for to Exert his authority, & that preparation had been made to Steal us off in the Event of failure with the old Chief by Every other means. There was an assembly of nearly all the Tribe of the Shawnees. Wabakah Kahtoo, & another Chief Sat over the Council the whole of the night, & consultations were held as to the place of our death, the Chief using Every argument to dissuade & Waba intent upon burning us. This I ascertained through my own ears, having learned Enough of the Shawnee language to understand the principal part of what was Said. I had concealed myself in the Vicinity & heard all that passed between them. The morning however after this a messenger arrived from McKee with a Wapen belt & a talk, the Substance of which was that he would not Suffer the Execution of Wabakah-Kahtoos Scheme. The old Chief finding himself thus opposed by So many & So Vehemently, proposed at length that if the Interpreter would give him a handsomely mounted rifle gun which he had in his hand, that it all Should be forgotten. To this propostion the Interpreter immediately acceded & thus a rifle gun appeased that which no argument of providence or mercy by acknowledged partiality could Effect. After this took place the old Chiefs manner & treatment continued the Same as before , & I, following the advice of McKee I disguised any knowledge of What had been in contemplation. The two Boys were addopted & little Jackey Calaway was placed with me. I heard through the Indians of Crawfords defeat, capture & death, Saw them upon their return from the fight with Scalps. The reason which they gave for treating Crawford So barbarously was retaliation for the death of Corn Stalk a Shawnee King, who had commanded at the battle of the Point, & who had surrendered himself & Son as hostages & were So treacherously & cruelly murdered by Arbuckles men, who were detained at that time at the Point, contrary to their Commanders orders, & under the pretex that Corn Stalks friends had murdered one Gilmore & two others. It is Stated in a Book called Border Warfare, that an Indian by the name of John Hollis, & who pretended friendship towards Captain Arbuckle, but betrayed him, was recognized as one of the Slain at Donnellys Fort. This was a mistake, as I saw Hollis during my Captivity among the Shawnees & talked with him about his Exploits in Greenbrier.

From the time of little Jackey Callaways addoption into Wabas family, he lived with me, & and was a great Comfort & relief to me. He had to take his plunge with the young Indians Winter & Summer & frequently has he come into the Camp with icicles hanging from his hair. I always had a fire for him.

From the period of Crawfords death, & the time when an attempt was made to ransom me, nothing occurred worth transcribing. I will mention here a Simple custom among them. In their marriage Ceremonies, they the Shawnees bake a large Vessel of dumplings, which are Served out by the Chief Squaw, in Small Vessels which each guest is Expected to bring to the wedding. These dumplings, they carry home with them and eat, & on the day following the bridegroom goes out & Kills a deer, which he presents to his Wife. She takes it to her mother. She gives him bread & he gives her meat. The Squaws do the principal part of the Courting, the men being for the most part modest even unto bashfulness.

Among these Savages I lived as comfortably as one could, apart from friends & with only a tolerable probability of ever meeting them again. The hostile feelings & predatory fare between the Shawnees & Americans had not Subsided.

In the Summer of 1782 there were Strong but ineffectual efforts made to ransom me, the Old Chief invariably replying to all their proposals that I was not a Slave to be Sold, & that he would not part with me, that I had been adopted by him & had become one of his family. A Mr. Higgins, whose generous Exertions in my behalf can never be forgotten, tried faithfully. The Old Chiefs feelings were Sincere, & I do not think that any price could have overcome them. Indeed there Seemed on the part of all the Indians, the Squaws especially with whom I had been living, an attachment towards me as ardent & affectionate as any I have ever known, among my own kindred & friends. My feelings towards the Old Chief were of course anything but kind & affectionate, after I had discovered his desire to Sacrifice me & my Child to appease his anger on account of the death of his Son; and when I became fully Satisfied that the only obsticle in the way of my redemption was his Will, it will not be wondered at that I wished, nay that I fervently prayed for his death. My prayers however Sinful they may Seem were followed by his death. On the day before he died I was Summoned to attend him, when he felt a consciousness that his End was nigh. Directing my attention to a point in the Sky, he informed me that when the Sun reached that place his Spirit would take its flight. This presentement was Correct, for precisely at the time he appointed he Expired. He expressed great Concern for my Situation, was fearful that my Claims would not be Supplied with wood, and manifested a regard for me which he could not have felt, had he known my anxiety for his death.

My friend Mr. Higgins immediately after the old Chiefs death, recommended negotiating for my ransom with the Son·of the old man into whose custody I had gone, & after a Short time Succeeded by paying the Sum of Two Hundred (200.00) dollars. But there was still another obsticle, my child the Indians were desirous of detaining, they having taken it into their heads that he was not included in the bargain.

A general Council of the Shawnees was assembled before which I was Summonded, & their Views made known regarding my Child. They alledged that they were to keep this child, that they would thereby have a pledge that I would occasionally return to Visit them; but to all of this I replied that I would never go without my Child, that if it remained I would likewise. After this reply & a Short Consultation, it was acceeded to me that I should go & be permitted to take my Child with me.

When I made Known my determination to the Squaws of leaving them, their demonstrations of Sorrow to part with me were terribly affecting & notwithstanding the prospect I then had of once again meeting my relatives & friends this occasion Seemed the happiest moment of my life. I could not but Shed tears upon parting with the poor creatures, who Seemed thus So Sincerely attached to me. I Shed tears of joy & Sorrow, & poor little Jackey Calaway what would I not have given to have taken him with me, as he Exclaimed, what Shall I now do?

I was taken to Mr. McComicks where I lived until the following Spring & then Set out for home the following Spring in Company with eight other Captives. I had a tedius travel thro the wilderness the greater part of the way, during which time we Suffered much for water & Something to Eat. For three days we had nothing whatever to Eat,& my poor child would have died, had it not been for the nourishment afforded by a few Seed, with which I had provided myself before leaving the Indian Settlement, & the good fortune to rescue from a hawk, a pheasant that I did, which enabled both myself & Child to Stand it better. The Hunters had been unSuccessful.

After Eight (8) days we reached Pittsburg, where I was made Sensible of the Effects of habit, by being placed in a feather bed, in which it was impossible for me to Sleep. From Pittsburg home we had a pleasant journey.

My Son John Paulee grew up with Every promise & prospect of doing Well, in after years went out as Secretary of a Fur Company, had Succeeded in laying in a fine quantity of furs, with which he & his company were decending the Yellow Stone River, when they were attacked by a party of marauding Indians, who murdered nearly all of them he among the number.

Little Jackey was redeemed about a year after I left him & went to Ky. where he lived to a good old age, &: died about 18 months ago. Polly Paulee my Sister in law who belonged to a Couple of Indian Squaws, Succeeded in making her escape about a year before I was redeemed. She had been permitted to go on a Visit to Detroit, for the purpose of trading, & while there gave them the Slip. She was protected by the Govenor of Detroit, at whose house She Soon afterwards married an Officer named·Mergers. This Officer tried hard for my redemption, but failed. With him She went to England & afterwards returned to Georgetown where She was murdered.



This narrative was written about the year 1836, by my Cousin Allen T. Caperton at the dictation of my Grandmother, Margaret Erskine whose maiden.name was Hanly. Her first Husband as Seen from this narrative was John Paulee & Several years after her release She married my Father Alexander Erskines Father Michael Erskine. He lived in Monroe County Va. To reach the age of 60 or 65 & by his marrage to Mrs. Margaret Paulee, had to the best of my knowledge five Children. Viz Jane Erskine who afterwards married Hugh Caperton of Monroe County Va. Henry Erskine a thrifty successful merchant. William Erskine who up to the time of his death was the popular proprietor of the Virginia Salt Sulphur Springs. My father Alexander Erskine, for years a leading practitioner of Medicine in Medicine at Huntsville Alabama & Michael Ersking, a planter in Texas, a whole Soul, adventurous Spirit.

Margaret Hanly afterwards Margaret Paulee & at her death Margaret Erskine; "was born in the State of Pennsylvania 28th day of February 1753. She married her first Husband John Paulee in 1777: The massacre occured about 2 miles from the mouth of East River a few yards from the Public Road leading from Tonys Farry to Taswell Court House. She saw her childs cloths on a Squaws which caused her to weep for the first time after her recovery, & they seeing how it distressed her removed them & they were never Seen again. McKee was a British Agent among the Indians.”

Extract from Cousin Mary .Miller
Harrisons account.

"The Name of the Old Chief in English was White Bark Indian name Wabakah-Kahtoo.”

Ext from Cousin Mary Miller Harrisons Narative.

The foregoing is a Copy from a Copy, as written by my Cousin Allen T. Caperton
of Union Va, related to him by our Grandmother.

Albert Russel Erskine Son of Alexander Erskine Sr. M.D􀀌
Copied Feb, 20th 1872.


An exact Transcription from photostats of original copy of a copy made by Dr. Albert Russel Erskine in 1872, prepared by Susan Fowler and presented to her father
Alex. D. Fowler, Christmas in the year 1956.

Margaret Erskine died June 3, 1842 in the 90th year of her age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, Vienna, Brno, and Prague. 2009

Paris, April 2006